During a recent discussion between mothers we brought up the subject of hypersensitivity. Yes, some children are more sensitive than others, they experience emotions with great intensity. They see, feel, notice and remember a lot. In adolescence, they can go from the most authentic joy to infinite sadness …
These hypersensitive children represent 15 to 20% of the population. Is this character trait often misunderstood or ignored by parents a strength or a weakness?
One of the mothers in the group, finding herself hypersensitive, considered her character trait to be a handicap in her life. When she was little, she was told that she was “on edge”, “too sensitive” or “too shy”. How can you not feel apart when you have been brought up with these beliefs and think that something is wrong with you?
We live in a world where rational intelligence is glorified, quantified by intelligence quotient (IQ) and more valued than emotional quotient. However, the IQ according to Dr. Daniel Goleman, specialist in emotional intelligence (QE) and professor at Harvard, represents at best only 20% of the factors of success in life. He realizes that “those who had better results in exams did not do better than others in terms of salaries, professional status, are neither happier in their private lives, nor more satisfied with their existence”.
What are the character traits that occupy emotional intelligence? Empathy, creativity, imagination, passion for a cause, generosity are some of them. This is good, the hypersensitive are largely provided!
See the hypersensitivity of your children as an asset in their future adult life because later …
– Thanks to their keen sense of their emotions (joy, love, discomfort or pain) they detect what the other feels to motivate, encourage and help them progress
– Because they have a lot of empathy, this intuition will manifest itself in many activities which require benevolence in the professional field as in the private one.
– The hypersensitive are defenders of justice and equity. Their life will be based on honesty and integrity.
– Born leaders! These personalities are dynamic, passionate about their work, they communicate this momentum to those around them!
– The hypersensitive have a lot of creativity. When they have been brought up to accept their particularity, when they have not been forced to fit into a “mold”, they are innovative and see solutions that others do not see.
– These personalities are generous in encouragement, in attention, in listening skills …
So if some parents imagined the hypersensitivity of their child as a handicap … I see in these extraordinary, sensitive and courageous beings, the guarantors of a necessary form of intelligence “in this world of” brutes “!